May 21, 2013
Ovations for building excellence
The Greater Vancouver Home Builders’ Association gave out more than 40 awards this spring to winning Metro Vancouver builders, renovators and designers.
BY SHAWN CONNER
The lighter side of a renter handing out awards for million-dollar renovation projects wasn’t lost on Erica Sigurdson. Joking about her 600-square-foot apartment, the Vancouver comedian brought out the chuckles as she hosted the annual Greater Vancouver Home Builders’ Association’s Ovation Awards.
More than 40 awards were given out April 20 at the Marriott Pinnacle for the event, now in its fourth year. The Ovations celebrate the best of Metro Vancouver builders, renovators and designers as selected by a jury of their peers. As always for the awards, the jurors are all from outside the Metro Vancouver area, and from the residential construction industry. Finalists only made the cut if the panel unanimously agreed that the submissions had exceptional merit.
Big winners included Port Coquitlam’s Falcon Homes, which won four awards for its stunning, curvaceous Butterfly House. And My House Design/Build Team also walked away with four awards (from 18 nominations). >>
- Level One Construction won in the Kitchen Renovation Under $50,000 category for fixing up a 20-year-old condo’s kitchen area. Sleek new cabinetry, a quartz countertop and breakfast bar, and an open-kitchen design transformed a layout that was “absolutely horrible,” as project manager Eduardo Silva put it. “The blueprint was so badly designed the sink was at an angle.” Level One also took home an award for Best Kitchen Renovation: $50,000-$99,999 (for “From Take-out to Home Cooking”).
- When it comes to entertaining, you don’t want to be left out in the cold. That’s where reVISION Custom Home Renovations comes in. The company won Best Outdoor Living Space: New or Renovated for turning a plain patio into an outdoor entertaining area, including a double-sided fireplace, a sunken hot tub, ceiling heaters and a seating bar. “The owners do a lot of hosting,” reVISION owner Todd Senft said. “Every year they host the hockey season round-up party, so they wanted an entertainment space.” You can see the space as part of the GVHBA Parade of Renovated Homes on June 9. “We’re going to be serving up burger sliders,” Senft promised.
- For its Butterfly House, Falcon Homes won Best Interior Design Custom Residence: New or Renovated — as well as Best New Kitchen: $100,000 and Over, Best Custom Home: Over $2 million and Best Special Feature: New or Renovated. The latter was for the four-storey curved glass elevator. Falcon owner Fred Formosa said the curved glass elevator doors had to be sourced from Italy. “If you don’t have those you can’t make the rest,” Formosa said. “That was the unknown right until the end.” Just as spectacular as the elevator is the 100-foot-long indoor lap pool that follows the curve of the inner wall on one side of the house. The house also won a 2012 Georgie Award for the home’s master suite.
- Best Builders Ltd. also had a winning Butterfly House; theirs is a one-level rancher-style abode that won in the Best Custom Home: $500,000-$999,999 category. “The idea was for the house to be an integral part of the outdoor living space,” Best Builders owner Todd Best said. The owners are a couple in their mid-50s who wanted to build their dream home. “She loves the greenery and the garden beds,” Best said. “If you walk in the front door, you look straight out through back folding doors into the garden.” Best Builders also won for Best New Kitchen: Under $100,000 and the People’s Choice Award.
- The Grand Ovation Award for Custom Builder of the Year is something Tavan Developments can proudly show prospective as well as past clients, company owner Troy Van Vliet says. Tavan also won Best Custom Home: $1 million-$2 million for a gorgeous Southlands house. “It has a lot of classic features inside,” Van Vliet said. “The owners had spent a lot of money on real stone and real marble. The Carrara slabs had to be craned in because they were too big to carry though the house.” Special features include an 800-square-foot barn – “for the future possibility” of buying a horse. >>
Grand Ovation Awards:
RenoMark Renovator of the Year:
Small Volume: Intermind Design Inc.
Single-Family Builder of the Year:
Custom Builder of the Year:
Tavan Developments Ltd.
RenoMark Renovator the Year:
Large Volume: My House Design/Build/ Team Ltd.
Multi-Family Builder of the Year:
Concert Properties Ltd.
To see the full list of GVHBA Ovation Awards winners, visit www.ovationawards.ca